Parallax image

Municipal Market

Arkeologiset paikat ja monumentit
Next Project Municipal Garden & Watch Municipal Garden & Watch
The Byzantine Wall of Chania Previous Project The Byzantine Wall of Chania
alue

Chania

jakaa

The Municipal Market of Chania, the large building of 4000 square meters in the centre of Chania is the "heart" of the city. Its foundation started on August 14, 1911, at the place  that was the main rampart of the fortification during the Venetian period, and the construction of the building was completed during the second half of 1913.

The official opening ceremony was performed by the Prime Minister of Greece, Eleftherios Venizelos, three days after the unification of Crete with Greece, on December 4, 1913. The Municipal Market is cross shaped and has four doors, one in each ward, that close to provide security at the shops that are hosted there. Today at the building of the Municipal Market are hosted many shops that sell local products and souvenirs. The Municipal Market constitutes an architectural jewel for Chania and is one of the most impressive markets in Balkans