Gouverneto Monastery or Lady of Angels is one of the oldest monasteries of Crete and constitutes a sample of orthodoxe monasterial architecture. It was built in 1537 in altitude of 260 metres by monks of the Catholic church that abandoned the place due to piracy.
Its construction started during the Venetian period, but the works were interrupted because of the invasion of Turks. The completion of the temple was achieved after many years and with a special authorisation that granted the Turks
Externally it resembles with Venetian fortress and has towers in its four corners with embrasures, from which however are saved today only two. It has dimensions 40 x 50 metres and allocates 50 cells in two floors. The church of Eisodion of Theotokos or Lady of Angels is parallelogram with dome and allocates columns and sculptural decor that reminds of Italian technique.
There are two chapels, Agii Deka and Agios Ioannis o Ksenos, that is dedicated to the founder of the monastery. There is a very small museum in the monastery that hosts works of ecclesiastical art and other precious relics. The monastery of Gouverneto is located in Akrotiri peninsula, 19 kilometres northern of Chania and 4 km from the monastery of Agia Triada. The visitors should take the way from the city of Chania to the airport, following the signs for the monastery of Agia Triada.